“I don’t need my name in lights”

A few months ago my husband asked a probing question:

What would you do if you woke up famous?

Like everyone-knows-my-face-and-name famous, I questioned.
Yep, he responded, like that.

He was intent on an answer.  And I was quiet, searching for one. Then.

I’d be lying if I said I don’t want success. That I don’t want to be recognized for talents I believe I have. But famous?? That is entirely different.

Contrary to what I may seem, I am an introverted person. I love flying under the radar, allowed to notice and not be noticed. I love peace and quiet. I love being with myself–wholly–even in the dark moments when I’m skillfully negotiating the craggy peaks of my heart’s hurt. I love being allowed that luxury, the luxury of figuring out who I am without the noise of others telling me who they think I am.

Surely, that doesn’t mean there aren’t those in my life who try to make their truth my own.  There are.  But at least they know me. They aren’t complete strangers who take issue with the way I cut my hair, what I choose to eat, or worse…who attack my sacred personhood because of something they read or watched on t.v.

So that famous??
No. Thank. You.

Then last week, while driving to meet a girlfriend for lunch, I was heart hit by a song on the radio:

I don’t need my name in lights
I’m famous in my Father’s eyes
Make no mistake
He knows my name
I’m not living for applause
I’m already so adored
It’s all His stage
He knows my name

As I drove through tears, I realized I’m already famous to a precious and cherished few. They know my name and more than that…they know my heart. That is why the song moved me.  Because it spoke to one of my deepest truths: on any given day, I’d prefer to be Known than known of.

That is my heart’s scripture. Today. Tomorrow. And forever.

I don’t know what the next few years will bring. And I don’t know where my talents will take me, but it doesn’t matter.  I am Known.  And that knowing is more fame than I ever dreamed of.

One thought on ““I don’t need my name in lights”

1. September 28, 2014 at 11:46 pm

Dani, that was a valid question from your husband, given your talent. And your conclusion is heart satisfying peace. To be known,
    to be loved by Love.
    No other way.
    No fame or prestige can touch it.

• September 30, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Oh, Jane, thank you for your kindness and friendship. Both mean the world to me.

2. September 29, 2014 at 12:01 am

Wonderfully expressed. Thanks for saying it so well.

• September 30, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Thank you, Robin.

3. mkk11304@comcast.net
    September 29, 2014 at 12:05 am

Very good one, T!Sent from XFINITY Connect Mobile App

• September 30, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Yay, you!! You commented.

Thanks, Mom 🙂

4. September 29, 2014 at 12:17 am

your name…your heart…to those of us whom you have lavished your love and care upon, you are already famous.

ever and always grateful…friend.
    love, charissa

PS; what a timely post for me, the part about:
    “those in my life who try to make their truth my own”.
    Having just undergone such an invasion, the contrast between that and your life in mine is palpable and real beyond real.

• September 30, 2014 at 7:52 pm

I know the paparazzi of your heart are the kind that See. And I am blessed with That fame. And no other.

With love,

• September 30, 2014 at 8:30 pm

omg…They! They are the Paparazzi of my heart! LOVE IT!

5. StephanieJane
    September 29, 2014 at 12:44 am

I love this, and I feel exactly the same way. I think it would be incredibly difficult to handle THAT kind of famous. And like you, I’m an introvert who relishes quiet spaces shared with loved ones and a healthy dose of alone time. I couldn’t handle interacting with strangers on a constant basis, especially strangers who are critiquing without knowing who I am inside. Like you, it is enough for me to be Known by our Creator and by the people who know me best. I love your heart, thanks for sharing it with us!

• September 30, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Thank you for your kindness and encouragement, StephanieJane. It is an incredible blessing to know my words echo more than my own experience.

6. Jenae G
    September 29, 2014 at 1:48 am

Awesome truth that should be written on the hearts of all who have breath.

Thank you for sharing your journey with us all. You are loved and we are blessed to know you!

• September 30, 2014 at 8:04 pm

7. September 29, 2014 at 2:39 am

Indeed, Dani, you are! Such an important lesson. I am still trying to learn it. Thank you for reminding me and all of us of “the difference between that which is real and enduring and that which is fleeting and vain.” (Shabbat Manual UAHC)

• September 30, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Stephen,

Thank you for taking the time to comment and share part of your truth.

You are famous in Those halls, my friend. And one day, I hope that’s enough.

Until then and always,

8. September 29, 2014 at 8:32 am

I can only say YES!

• September 30, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Thank you kindly, lovely Catherine.

9. September 29, 2014 at 4:33 pm

“As I drove through tears, I realized I’m already famous to a precious and cherished few. They know my name and more than that…they know my heart. That is why the song moved me and why I was left a puffy mess. Because it spoke to one of my deepest truths: on any given day, I’d prefer to be Known than known of.”

We DO know your heart and what a blessing that is.
    xo

• September 30, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Thank you, Michelle, for the blessings of you and your friendship.

10. September 29, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Beautifully written. And I love you. I hope you know how many people truly care about you! I have a book I would like to rrecommend; What YOU think of Me Is None of My Business. The author’s name is Terry Cole-Whitaker. It is about your inner path and Self- fulfillment It is true, you are already famous!

• September 30, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Sherry, thank you for the lovely comment and for the book recommendation. I will surely look into it, and hope you know I count myself blessed as your friend.

May we sojourn in pain briefly and seek truth eternally.

❤ Dani

• September 30, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Hey Sis…if you do look it up, let me know if it is something I should look into? If you dare? LOLOLOL!!!!!!

• September 30, 2014 at 9:32 pm

I will and yes…I dare.

11. October 3, 2014 at 4:51 pm

I love the photo & the message, & the song.

• October 11, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Thank you so much, Meredith.
      All are appreciated.

12. hya21
    October 7, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Absolutely beautiful. I agree that the type of famous where everyone criticizes your choices because you are “out there” is not something that I would want either. What you are happy with is really the best kind.

13. October 11, 2014 at 8:20 pm

What a lovely comment, Nadine.
    Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.
    Both are appreciated more than you know.

14. November 10, 2014 at 10:10 am

Beautifully expressed Dani. I can relate to not wanting the limelight! I’m happier writing, meditating, being in nature and encouraging others to find their greatness. Thanks for being part of my community. blessings, Brad

• December 13, 2020 at 2:54 am

I love that, Brad. And my apologies that your comment sat without reply for so long. Blessings to you.

15. December 13, 2020 at 3:12 pm

Thank you. I appreciate that. Truly.